Pages

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Eyebrow Tinting at Home


Eyebrows are such an important feature because they help to frame the face.  As mine are blonde and sparse, I can be a little prone to eyebrow envy!  I fill in my brows every day, but they are so light, that it can be a little challenging.  To help me fill in my brows, I have been tinting them for years.  I used to get them tinted at a salon, but I got tired of paying someone else to do what I thought I could do at home.  So, I did a little research and found Roux Lash & Brow Tint.  Roux Lash & Brow Tint is available at Sally Beauty Supply and on Amazon.  It's a little less expensive on Amazon.

Application



The process of tinting your brows with Roux Lash & Brow Tint is very simple.  It's a two step process, using the products in the same order that the bottles are labeled (No. 1 and No. 2).


The kit comes with small wooden applicators (about the size of a match) and you are supposed to wrap a small amount of cotton around the tip, but I just use a cotton swab.  Apply the first solution with a clean cotton swab and let it dry completely for a couple of minutes.  Then, carefully apply the second solution.  It's important not to mix the solutions together in the bottles, as they will activate each other.  To help prevent cross-contamination, don't dip your applicator into the bottle after it has been used.  The longer the solution is on, the deeper the color.  I usually try to leave the solution on for 10-15 minutes.  

I'm not going to lie, it looks a little scary while the solution is on the brows.  When the time comes to remove it, use a wet cotton ball to start removing the excess.  The third bottle in the kit is a stain remover, and it is a very important part of achieving a natural look.  Dip a cotton swab into the stain remover and gently rub the skin beneath the brow to remove the stain.  This step may take a little time, and if you have sensitive skin like I do, there may be a little temporary redness.

And now, things are about to get real.  Here are some photos I took throughout the process.  I didn't have the best lighting, and in the first three, I'm not wearing any makeup!  Here is the proof that eyebrow pencil and mascara are necessities in my life.



When I did this application, I didn't have a lot of time, so I did a second application the next day, and here is the result.  My brows are not filled in with eyebrow pencil in this photo.

 

Final Thoughts

 

The kit is intended for use on both eyebrows and lashes.  As you can see from my photos, I could benefit from lash tinting as well.  I tried tinting my lashes once, and I found that process is a little more complicated than the brows.  I wasn't able to get my lashes as dark as I wanted.  I think that mascara does a much better job, because it thickens, lengthens and separates my lashes, in addition to darkening them.  Mascara is also a lot easier to apply. 

I try to tint my brows every six to eight weeks.  Roux recommends tinting every six weeks as the color fades away in that time.  Tinting my brows isn't my favorite activity, but the results are worth it.

xo,
Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment